Dominic HughesCalled to the bar 2001 Junior
All aspects of intellectual property law – including patents, trade marks, passing off, copyright, designs and confidential information.
Dominic specialises in running his own cases without a leader – for example he has appeared without a leader in each of the following Courts and tribunals: the Court of Appeal, the High Court, the IPEC, the County Courts and the Intellectual Property Office (both at first instance and on appeal).
In September 2017 he was appointed, following a selection competition, to the Attorney General’s B Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown.
Dominic also undertakes work pro bono in suitable cases.
BAR COURSE AT INNS OF COURT SCHOOL OF LAW
Graded: Very Competent
Awards: Bedingfield Scholarship; Barstow Scholarship and CCH Editions Prize.
CPE AT CITY UNIVERSITY
Awards: Gray’s Inn City Prize and Gray’s Inn Entrance Award.
D.PHIL. AT UNIVERSITY OF OXFORD, JESUS COLLEGE
Qualification: D.Phil. in Physical Chemistry
Awards: Old Members Graduate Scholarship and Shell Research Studentship
BSC AT UNIVERSITY COLLEGE, LONDON
Qualification: BSc in Chemistry (1st class honours)
Awards: Neil Sharp Prize; Christopher Ingold Prize (twice) and ERASMUS award.
- Don and Low v Cromar Building Products Ltd (2018) (High Court & IPEC – transfer; patents)
- easyGroup Ltd v [two defendants] (2018) (IPEC; trade marks; procedure)
- Epshtein v Comptroller-General  RPC 11;  EWHC 1511 (Ch) (High Court (on Appeal); Patents; validity)
- Laboratoires Théa v Altacor (BLEPHACARE Trade Mark) O/310/15 and O/313/15 (TM Registry; opposition)
- VPG Systems v Air-Weigh  FSR 4;  EWHC 1862 (IPEC) (IPEC; trial; patent infringement and validity)
- VPG Systems v Air-Weigh  EWHC 1296 (IPEC) (IPEC; patents; procedure)
- William Mark Corp & Wow! Stuff v Gift House  EWCA Civ 521 (Court of Appeal; patents; permission)
- Vertical v Poleplus  EWHC 841 (IPEC) (IPEC; trial; passing off; joint tortfeasance; vicarious liability)
- William Mark & Wow! Stuff v Gift House  EWHC 2845 (IPEC) (IPEC; trial; patent infringement and validity; case also included registered design validity and infringement and threats)
- Victor Lilley v Euromoney & Metal Bulletin  EWHC 2364 (Ch) (High Court; copyright; procedure)
- Catalina Software v Professional IT (Logistics) (2014; IPEC; copyright in computer software; procedure)
- Wallenius v Brightwater  EWHC 3810 (Pat) (High Court; patents; Brupat orders)
- Eli Lilly v Gurnos  EWHC 3661 (Ch) (High Court; patents; procedure)
- Eli Lilly v Gurnos  EWHC 2297 (Ch) (High Court; patents; procedure)
- H. Lundbeck v Infosint  RPC 23;  EWHC 907 (High Court; patent infringement and validity; trial)
- Powawalker Trade Mark (O/411/10) (TM Registry; trade marks; opposition)
- Roja Dove Trade Mark (O/016/10) (Appointed Person; trade marks; opposition; appeal)
- Wilson v Yahoo (2008; Court of Appeal; trade mark; costs; procedure; acting pro bono)
- Handi-Craft v B Free World  EWCA Civ 868 (Court of Appeal; patent validity; appeal)
- Handi-Craft v B Free World  EWCA Civ 1008 (Court of Appeal; copyright; costs; permission)
- Care Monitoring v Burall  EWPCC 28 (PCC; registered and unregistered designs; trial)
- Eli Lilly v Neopharma & Neolab  FSR 25;  EWHC 415 (Ch) (High Court; patents; disclosure)
- Eli Lilly v 8PM Chemist (High Court; trade marks; interim procedure)
- Procter & Gamble v Reckitt Benckiser The Times (17th October 2007);  FSR 8;  EWCA Civ 936 (Court of Appeal; registered community designs – infringement and validity; appeal)
- Handi-Craft v B Free World  EWHC B10 (High Court; two week trial covering 5 causes of action (patents, passing off, copyright, trade marks and conspiracy))
- Handi-Craft v B Free World (Nos. 2, 3 and 4) (High Court; consequential relief)
- Procter & Gamble v Reckitt Benckiser  FSR 13;  EWHC 3154 (Ch) (High Court; registered community designs – infringement and validity; trial)
- Sandisk v Koninklijke Philips (High Court; patent infringement, validity and essentiality; procedure)
- Markem v Zipher  RPC 31;  EWCA Civ 267 (Court of Appeal; patent entitlement and breach of confidence; appeal)
- Markem v Zipher (No. 3)  RPC 3 (High Court; patents; relief)
- Markem v Zipher (No. 2)  RPC 11 (High Court; patents; judgments)
- Markem v Zipher  RPC 10 (High Court; patents; entitlement; trial)
- Liaoning Light v Yu (O/71/04) (TM Registry; trade marks; validity)
- Baker Hughes v Halliburton  EWHC 2524 (High Court; patent amendment)
- Product state resolved stereodynamics: rotational polarization of OH(2Π;v’,N’,Ω,f) scattered
from the reaction, H + CO2 -> OH + CO.
Brouard, I. Burak, D.W. Hughes, K.S. Kalogerakis, J.P. Simons and V. Stavros
J. Chem. Phys., 113, 3173 (2000).
- The product rovibrational and spin-orbit state dependent dynamics of the complex reaction
H + CO2 -> OH (2Π; v, N, Ω, f) + CO: memories of a lifetime.
Brouard, D.W. Hughes, K.S. Kalogerakis and J.P. Simons
J. Chem. Phys., 112, 4557 (2000).
- An experimental study of the dynamics of the reaction H + CO2 -> OH(v’, j’, f) + CO:
product state-resolved differential cross sections and translational energy release distributions.
Brouard, D.W. Hughes, K.S. Kalogerakis and J.P. Simons
J. Phys. Chem. A, 102, 9559 (1998).
- Law and Justice Bible Studies (LCF) (contributor).
- The Oxford Union Guide to Speaking in Public (Virgin Books, 2004 and 2000) (co-author).
- Bar Pro Bono Unit
- Intellectual Property Bar Association
- Chancery Bar Association
- Lawyers’ Christian Fellowship
“He is knowledgeable, provides thorough advice and is always prepared to go the extra mile”Legal 500, 2018
“He is responsive and produces high-quality work”Legal 500, 2017
“very user-friendly … with great attention to detail”Legal 500, 2016
“amazingly knowledgeable”Legal 500, 2015
“We cannot express too highly the appreciation of both our client and us for a quite magnificent piece of work by Dr Hughes.”Unsolicited letter from instructing solicitors, 2015