These chambers first came together as a distinct entity shortly after the second world war. Chambers has expanded gradually to its present size of nineteen members. All but one of the current members of chambers joined chambers as pupils.
Chambers was originally located at 6 Pump Court, on the second floor of a building built in 1686. Its charm was offset by its lack of modern heating: until gas fires were installed, one of the clerks’ responsibilities in winter was to bring in the coal. Rooms for only four barristers were available there, and so an annex on the third floor of 3 Pump Court was taken on in the 1970s as chambers grew. The first senior clerk was Bill Russell. He was followed by John Glazebrook, who retired in 1987 and was succeeded by his then junior, Ian Bowie. In 2012, Nicholas Hill took over as senior clerk.
Chambers relocated to its present address at 3 New Square, Lincoln's Inn in April 1995, having outgrown its former premises in Pump Court.
Several members of chambers have gone on to be become judges. Former head of chambers Douglas Falconer was appointed as a Patents Judge of the High Court in 1981. William Aldous similarly crossed the Strand in 1988 and subsequently was appointed as a Lord Justice of Appeal in 1995. Colin Birss QC left to become the Judge of the Patents County Court in 2010. He was appointed to the High Court bench in May 2013
Since the 9th edition in 1951, senior members of chambers have edited the leading practitioners’ textbook on patent law, Terrell on the Law of Patents, to which other members contribute. The 17th edition of Terrell was published in January 2011.